NEW SESSION OF STAR PUPPY, CANINE GOOD CITIZEN & RALLY CLASSES SCHEDULED TO START ON AUGUST 1st. CONFORMATION IS ON GOING.
CLASSES ARE HELD MOST TUESDAY EVENINGS AT THE LINN COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS AND EXPO. JUST OFF I-5 IN ALBANY, OREGON
*EMERGENCY CONTACT PHONE # FOR AFTER 4PM ON TUESDAY SUE WILEY'S CELL 541 979-9430*
Our Classes are based on American Kennel Club (AKC) rules, positive training, and are good for socializing your dog(s).
AKC CONFORMATION CLASSES
INSTRUCTOR: GARY DUNLOP
Our Conformation Classes will prepare you and your dog(s) for AKC Conformation Shows.
Conformation Classes. Cost $15 per hour
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm limited to 10 people
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm limited to 10 people
**Class is limited to 10 people each hour.**
What to expect at an AKC Conformation Show. Judges examine the dogs, then give awards according to how closely each dog compares to the Judge's mental image of the "perfect" dog described in the breed's official standard. The standard describes the characteristics that allow the breed to perform the function for which it was bred. These standards include specifications for structure, temperament and movement. The Judges are experts on the breeds they are judging. They examine ("go over") each dog with their hands to see if the teeth, muscles, bones and coat texture conform to the breed's standard. They view each dog in profile for overall balance, and watch each dog gait ("move") to see how all of those features fit together in action.
INSTRUTOR: SUE WILEY
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy class is for puppies 12 weeks to 12 months of age.
6pm If overfull a 5:15 and 6:15 class will be held
Cost $95.00 for 8 week session
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy).
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge.
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan.
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator.
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy.
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class.
8. Free of aggression toward other puppies in class.
9. Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice.
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size).
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy.
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner.
13. Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet).
14. Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps).
15. Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away.
16. Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure.
17. Down on command-Owner may use a food lure.
18. Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called.
19. Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away.
20. Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns).
AKC CGC - CANINE GOOD CITIZEN
INSTRUCTOR: SUE WILEY
This class is combined with the STAR Puppy class.
The CGC class will prepare dogs and owners to pass the CGC test at the end of the 7- 8 week session.
CGC TEST BEHAVIORS:
1.Accepting a friendly stranger.
2. Sitting politely for petting
3.Appearance & Grooming
4.Out of a walk
5.Walking Through a Crowd
6. Sits & downs on Command/Staying in Place
7.Comes when called
8.Reaction to another dog.
9 Reaction to distraction
10. Supervised separation. (Dog stays with a friendly stranger while owner goes out of site for 3 minutes)
Class time 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Cost $95.00 for 8 week session
CGC is a certification program that is designed to reward dogs who have good manners at home and in the community. The Canine Good Citizen Program is a two-part program that stresses responsible pet ownership for owners, and basic good manners for dogs. All dogs who pass the 10-step CGC test may receive a certificate from the American Kennel Club.
Many dog owners choose Canine Good Citizen training as the first step in training their dogs. The Canine Good Citizen Program lays the foundation for other AKC activities such as obedience, Rally, agility, tracking, and performance events. As you work with your dog to teach the CGC skills, you'll discover the many benefits and joys of training your dog. Training will enhance the bond between you and your dog. Dogs who have a solid obedience education are a joy to live with. They respond well to household routines, have good manners in the presence of people and other dogs, and they fully enjoy the company of the owner who took the time to provide training, intellectual stimulation, and a high quality life. We sincerely hope that CGC will be only a beginning for you and your dog, and that after passing the CGC test, you'll continue training in obedience, Rally, agility, tracking, or performance events.
AKC RALLY OBEDIENCE
Rally Class prepares you for the five levels of Rally competition, Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Excellent and Masters. The course is changed each week, with challenges seen at different trials, and contains signs from the five levels of Rally A and B.
Class time 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Cost $95 for 8 week session
Rally is a sport in which the dog and handler complete a course that has been designed by the Rally Judge. The Judge tells the handler to begin, and the dog and handler proceed at their own pace through a course of designated stations (10 - 20, depending on the level). Each of these stations has a sign providing instructions regarding the next skill that is to be performed. Scoring is not as rigorous as Traditional Obedience.
The team of dog and handler moves continuously at a brisk, but normal, pace with the dog under control at the handler's left side. There should be a sense of teamwork between the dog and handler both during the numbered exercises and between the exercise signs; however, perfect "heel position" is not required. Any faults in Traditional Obedience that would be evaluated and scored as a one-point deduction or more should be scored the same in Rally, unless otherwise mentioned in the Rally Regulations. After the judge's "Forward" order, the team is on its own to complete the entire sequence of numbered signs correctly.
FOR THE ABOVE CLASSES,(STAR/CGC & RALLY:)
For Information and Pre-registration Application call Sue Wiley at 503-394-3693. Classes fill up quickly. Get pre-registered NOW. Call or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructor: Sue Wiley
Instructor: Gary Dunlop
Drop-in Rally course is open 6:00 pm - 7:oo pm for those who do not need instruction.. Cost $15.00
CGC testing is offered.
Contact Sue Wiley for times and dates via e-mail
The Linn County Kennel Club greatly encourages Junior Showmanship. Gary Dunlop is an AKC Junior Showmanship judge. Juniors learn along with adult conformation students. Cost: $6.oo
Be sure to get to class early. Classes are limited to 10 people per hour.